Text Size:
Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Restore Default Font Sizes

Online Forms & Services:

 
Tukwila Heritage Sites  

City Site: Foster Park

Location:

Historical Monument - S. 138th Street and 53rd Avenue S.

Historical Information:

Joseph Foster Park - Land donated to build Foster school west of the monument.

Click to enlarge)

Click to enlarge)
   

City Site: Foster Golf Links

Location:

Historical Monument - North end of Foster Golf Links. 56th Avenue S and Interurban Avenue S.

Historical Information:

Riverboat Landing - Identifies location where flat bottom boats landed at a point called Foster Landing near the Foster Homestead.

Click to enlarge)

Click to enlarge)
   

City Site: Fort Dent Park

Location:

Historical Monument - Within Fort Dent Park, Fort Dent Way. Found along the Green River Trail just outside the outfield fences of Fields #1 & 2 commemorating the Black River Junction Landing for flat-bottomed boats that carried passengers and goods to and from the Duwamish and Green Rivers between 1854 and 1886.

Historical Information:

Fort Dent was named after Captain Frederick T. Dent, U.S. Army, who was said to have supervised construction of the building. Dent eventually became a Colonel in the Civil War and was a member of General Ulysses S. Grant's staff (General Grant married Dent's sister, Julia).
   

City Site: Duwamish/Green River Trail Pedestrian Bridge

Location:

Dedicated plaque - S. 180th and Andover Park East on wooden footbridge.

Historical Information:

Byron Sneva - Tukwila Public Works Director. Dedicated 1988.
   

City Site: Tukwila Heritage & Cultural Center

Location:

Historical Plaque - Tukwila Library. 59th Avenues S. and S. 144th St.

Historical Information:

Historical Building - Former elementary school (1920-1938) and City Hall (1947-1978). Turn of the century school burned down and replaced in the late 40's, then served as City Hall.
   

City Site: Crystal Springs Park

Location:

Historical Water Tank - S. 160th St. and 51st Avenue S.

Historical Information:

Concrete Open Tank - Crystal Springs Water Company piped spring water to valley farms.

Click to enlarge)
   

City Site: Duwamish/Green River Trail

Location:

Historical Centennial Monument - Christensen Road north of Baker Blvd. at the entrance to the Green River trail.

Historical Information:

Nelsen Landing - Riverboat landing from 1853 to 1886 at the Nelsen family farm, 200 yards north.
   

City Site: Strander Boulevard over Green River

Location:

Historical Plaque - Strander Boulevard and Green River

Historical Information:

Lois T. Newton Bridge - Served as City Clerk for many years--bridge named in her honor.
   

City Site: Duwamish Park

Location:

Historical Plaque - 42nd Avenue S. and S. 116th Street.

Historical Information:

Duwamish School - Former site of first school for School District #175, operated 1911 to 1974.

Click to enlarge)

Click to enlarge)
   

City Site: Tukwila Community Center

Location:

Petroglyph Rock - 42nd Avenue S. & 124th St.

Historical Information:

Native American Site - Grassy area was once a campsite on the river for Native Americans as a food gathering location.
   

City Site: Frank W. Zepp Bridge

Location:

S. 180th Street over Duwamish/Green River

Historical Information:

Frank W. Zepp Bridge - Long-term City Supervisor, dedicated 1970.
   

City Site: Hazelnut Park

Location:

Plaque west of play area, S. 144th St. and 59th Avenue S. behind the Tukwila Heritage and Cultural Center.

Historical Information:

Marcelle and Rudolf Regel Civic Volunteers - Plaque to recognize years of civic service, October 1983.

Click to enlarge)

Click to enlarge)
   

Please email us at ParksRec@tukwilawa.gov or call 206-767-2342, if you have a comment or question about any of our historical sites, and we will forward it to the Tukwila Historical Society for a response.

 
First Duwamish Road
 

Contact Information:

Parks & Recreation Dept.
12424 42nd Avenue South
Tukwila, WA 98168

Phone: 206 768-2822
Fax: 206 768-0524

Email Parks & Recreation