Text Size:
Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Restore Default Font Sizes

Online Forms & Services:

Tukwila Public Works Permits  

Public Works Engineering reviews and approves public works activities related to development, large and small, within the City.

Public Works Development Engineers review permit applications for adherence to the Tukwila Municipal Code and to Public Work's Development Guidelines and Design and Construction Standards.

The Department of Community Development issues land use and building permits.

Public Works Permit Topics:


Information and Assistance

You may contact Public Works - Engineering at 206 433-0179 for help with permit and development questions. For better service, provide your permit number, if you have one, and ask for the engineer assigned to that permit.

Permit and development information is available through Public Works Customer Assistance Bulletins (CAB), the Development Guidelines and Design and Construction Standards and the Tukwila Municipal Code Chapters 11, 14, and 16. The standards are available in hard copy for $50 at the Public Works Counter at 6300 Southcenter Boulevard Suite 100.

Additional Information available to help with development design and permits:

Flood Zones:
Customer Assistance Bulletin A7, Flood Control Zone Permit
Customer Assistance Bulletin A8, Allentown Flood Control
FEMA: The National Flood Insurance Program
Surface Water:
See Below for City Surface Water Documents
E.P.A. - Urban Stormwater Best Management Practices
M.R.S.C. - Storm and Surface Water Management
Department of Ecology - Construction Stormwater General Permit
Department of Ecology - General Stormwater Information
Low Impact Development:
Seattle Public Utilities Services
Puget Sound Action Team - Low Impact Development
Low Impact Development (LID) - Urban Design Tools
US Army Corps of Engineers - Low Impact Development
Low Impact Development Center - Stormwater Management Manual for Western Washington
Traffic Control:
U.S. Department of Transportation - Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices
Washington State Department of Transportation
State and Federal Agencies:
ACCESS Washington Website
Washington State Dept. of Fish and Wildlife
Washington State Dept. of Natural Resources
Washington State Dept. of Ecology
Washington State Dept. of Health
US Army Corp of Engineers

Surface Water

♦ View or print Comprehensive Surface Water Management Plan in PDF format.


Surface Water Design:

Surface water design must meet the 2009 King County Surface Water Design Manual. Refer to Chapter 5 of the Development Guidelines and Design and Construction Standards for Tukwila amendments to the King County manual.

•  Restricted Infiltration

This map shows areas within the City where infiltration best management practices are restricted.

•  Level 2 Detention Areas

This map shows areas within the City where Level 2 detention/retention is required.

•  Falling Head Percolation Test Procedure


Visit these sites for additional guidance:

Surface Water Management:
Low Impact Development:

Water and Sewer

Water District Contacts
Tukwila Water
600 Minkler Blvd.
Tukwila, WA 98188
206 433-1863
Water District No. 125
3460 S 148th St, Suite 110
Tukwila, WA 98188
206 242-9547
Highline Water District
23828 30th Street
Kent, WA 98032
206 824-0375

Sewer District Contacts
Tukwila Sewer
600 Minkler Blvd.
Tukwila, WA 98188
206 433-1864
Valley View Sewer District
3460 S 148th St, Suite 100
Tukwila, WA 98188
206 242-3236
Renton Sewer
1055 S Grady Way
Renton, WA 98056
425 430-7200

Public Works Permits

In addition to review and approval of public works activities related to Land Use Applications and Building Permit Applications, Public Works issues the following permits.


Type A Short-term Nonprofit

Issued for 72 hours to nonprofit organizations for assemblies, bike races, block parties, parades, parking, processions, non-motorized vehicle races, street dances, street runs. Flat Rate $50

Type B Short-term Profit

Issued for 72 hours to for-profit entities for fairs, house moves, sales, street closure. Flat Rate $100

Type C

Issued for 180 days for activities in the right-of-way and on private property. These activities include sewer, water, surface water, grading, street improvements, boring, culverts, curb cuts, paving, driveways, fences, landscaping, painting/striping, sidewalks, trenching, utility installation/repair, traffic signals and illumination.  Calculated fee based on construction value.  CAB A2 Type C Fee Estimate Worksheet.

Type C Grading

Issued for 180 days for all grading activities except the following Refer to TMC 16.54.
  1. Excavation for construction of a structure permitted under the International Building Code;
  2. Cemetery graves;
  3. Refuse disposal sites controlled by other regulations;
  4. Excavations for wells, or trenches for utilities;
  5. Mining, quarrying, excavating, processing or stockpiling rock, sand, gravel, aggregate or clay controlled by other regulations, provided such operations do not affect the lateral support of, or significantly increase stresses in, soil on adjoining properties;
  6. Exploratory excavations performed under the direction of a registered design professional. This exploratory excavation shall not constitute the beginning of construction of a building prior to obtaining a permit.  Calculated fee based on construction value. CAB A2 Type C Fee Estimate Worksheet.

For flood zone grading, excavation, and earthwork construction, including fills and embankments refer to TMC 16.52.

Type D Long-term

Issued for periods greater than 72 hours for activities which do not disturb the right-of-way including: air rights, bus shelters, access to construction sites, loading zones, newspaper sales, recycling facilities, sales structures, sidewalk cafes, awnings, benches, underground rights, utility facilities, waste facilities.  Flat Rate $100.

Type E Potential Disturbance

Issued for 180 days for activities having a potential to disturb the right-of-way, such as hauling 6 loaded vehicles/hr/8 hr day for 2 or more consecutive days or hauling hazardous waste. Flat Rate $100.

Type F Blanket

Issued for 365 days to telecommunications and cable franchisee, and to utilities for connections, repairs, and emergencies. Flat Rate $250 plus $5000 PW inspection deposit. Flat Rate $100/PW Inspection.

Flood Zone

Any construction or development, including manufactured homes, watercourse alteration, excavation, fill, within any special flood hazard area requires a Flood Control Zone permit (FCZP). An FCZP grants approval to construct or develop within a special hazard area, a flood-prone area or the shoreline, but does not replace the need for additional permits such as a building permit or a Type C Construction permit.

A permit shall be obtained before construction or development begins within any area of special flood hazard. The permit shall be for all structures including manufactured homes, and for all development including fill and other activities. Flat Rate $50.

Refer to TMC 16.52, CAB A7, Flood Control Zone Permit, and Policy 2000-01/CAB A8, Allentown Flood Control Zone. For more information, refer to the Federal Emergency Management Agency website http://www.fema.gov/nfip/.

Water Meter - Permanent

Issued for domestic water supply of all new or reestablished services when sewer discharge rates are calculated based on water usage. Each individual building requires a separate water main tap. The fee includes a City-provided water meter. Fees listed in table below.

Water Meter - Water Only

Issued for a separate service from the main for water that will not discharge to the public sewer. The fee includes a City-provided water meter. Fees listed in table below.

Water Meter - Deduct

Required to meter water that will not discharge to the public sewer. The Permittee provides, owns, installs, and maintains the meter. This meter is installed downstream of a permanent water meter. An example is landscape irrigation. Flat Rate $25.

Water Meter - Temporary

Required for use of public water, on a short-term basis, where a metered supply does not already exist. The Permittee rents the meter from the City. Examples include dust suppression during construction or water supply during hydroseeding. Fees listed in table below.
Water Meter Fee Sheet
Permanent and Water Only Meters
Size (inches) Installation Cascade Water Alliance RCFC 01/01/09-12/31/09 Total Fee
0.75 $600 $6,005 $6,605
1 $1100 $15,012.50 $16,112.50
1.5 $2400 $30,025 $32,425
2 $2800 $48,040 $50,840
3 $4400 $96,080 $100,480
4 $7800 $150,125 $157,925
6 $12,500 $300,250 $312,750
Temporary Meters
0.75 $300    
2.5 $1,000    

Activities that Trigger Public Works Permits

The following are examples of activities that trigger a Public Works permit.

Activity Examples Permit
Installing or modifying striping, signs, or illumination. Type C
Installing or modifying an access for a driveway. Type C
Cross-connection control on fire line or irrigation, or cross-connection control on the water supply to any building other than single family and duplexes, triplexes, fourplexes. Type C
Constructing, developing, or substantially improving a structure within a shoreline, special flood hazard area, or a flood-prone area. Flood Zone Control
Hauling 6 loaded vehicles/hr/8 hr day for 2 or more consecutive days. Type E
Hauling hazardous waste. Type E
All grading operations, except for the listed exemptions. Type C
Moving an oversize load (load exceeding 8-1/2 feet wide, 14 feet high and 75 feet long). The City accepts a valid Washington Department of Transportation permit to move an oversize load in lieu of a City permit. Type E
Connecting or reconnecting a building to a public or a private sewer main. Type C
Extending sewer main, public or private, or installing a side sewer longer than 150 feet. Type C
Surveying, lane closures, special events. Type E
Construct private or public water main Type C
Meter water use when the used water does not discharge to a public sewer. This meter does not have a separate service to a water main. Water Meter - Deduct
Meter water use of all new and reestablished services when the used water will discharge to the public sewer. Water Meter - Permanent
Meter short-term public water use, where a meter does not exist. Water Meter - Temporary
Meter separate service from a main and the used water does not discharge to public sewers. Water Meter - Water Only

Estimate Public Works Type C Permit Fees

Public Works establishes and collects fees as set forth in the fee schedule adopted by the City Council. Most Public Works permit fees are flat rates. Flat rate permit fees are due when the permit is issued.

Type C permit fees are based on the estimated construction value of ALL public works elements in a project. For Type C permits, Public Works collects an Application and Plan Review fee when the application is submitted and a Permit Issuance and Inspection fee when the permit is issued.

Following the first two plan reviews by Public Works, the Applicant is charged 25% of the Total Plan Review Fee for each additional plan review, which is attributable to the Applicant's action or inaction.

After the permit is issued, Public Works may assess fees for revisions and inspections and may adjust pavement mitigation fees. Any additional fees must be paid before the Public Works Final Inspection occurs.

The Permit Issuance and Inspection fee covers two inspections per inspection item. Each reinspection after the first two inspections is charged $47.00/inspection per inspection item.

Estimate Public Works Type C permit fees using CAB A2 Type C Fee Estimate Worksheet.


Some additional fees include:

Traffic Impact Mitigation

Traffic impact mitigation fees are based on the traffic impacts identified in the Traffic Impact Analysis, either following SEPA review or during permit plan review.

Independent Review

Depending on the site conditions and design complexity, reports submitted to the City may receive independent review. The Applicant pays the review fee.

Connection Charges

Some City water and sewer services have special connection charges. When these charges apply, the Applicant shall provide a legal description of the property to aid in calculating the charges.

Permit Submittal Requirements

Provide the following information for all permit applications.

  • Completed Application Form (4 copies)
  • Vicinity Map (4 copies)
  • Plans, profiles, cross-sections (plans) (4 copies)
    • Maximum 24" x 36" or minimum 11" X 17" paper
    • Plans that clearly indicate the location, nature, and extent of the proposed work, and contain sufficient detail to show that all provisions of the Development Guidelines and Design and Construction Standards are met.
  • Specifications.  Submit specifications with the plans, when the plans and notes do not adequately describe the proposed work and materials.
  • Erosion prevention and sediment control plan (ESCP). A project that will clear, grade, or otherwise disturb a site must provide erosion prevention and sediment controls to prevent, as much as possible, sediment transportation offsite to downstream drainage facilities and water resources, or onto other properties. The erosion prevention and sediment control plan shall meet or exceed the standards in the King County Surface Water Design Manual. (TMC 14.30) and Chapter 5 of the Development Guidelines and Design and Construction Standards .
  • Project schedule. The project schedule must include the proposed sequence and expected start and end dates for all major activities. The schedule must include installation of temporary and permanent erosion prevention and sediment control measures and schedules for monitoring, operation, and maintenance of these measures.

Permit Supplemental Information

Depending on the proposed work and depending on the site, Public Works may require additional submittals. The following lists the most common supplemental information.

Type C permit - Engineer Estimate

Provide a copy of the contractor estimate or engineer estimate for the activity being permitted. The estimate must include construction cost estimates for all proposed Public Works activities. Public Works will review and may adjust the estimate. If an estimate is not provided, Public Works may provide its own estimate for the proposed work.

Technical Information Report (Surface Water)

The scope of drainage review varies with the project location, complexity and potential surface water impacts. Refer to the King County Surface Water Design Manual to determine Technical Information Report and design requirements appropriate for the project. (TMC 14.30)

Geotechnical Report

A geotechnical report helps determine if the proposal for a site is appropriate. A geotechnical report contains information used to design retaining walls, foundations, hazardous waste facilities, and infiltration systems, such as trench drains, sand filters and septic drain fields. Geotechnical reports also supply information for settlement analysis, liquefaction, structural fill, and storm water design. The report shall meet the requirements in CAB B4 Geotechnical Report Guidelines.

The City may require a geotechnical investigation and report based on the nature of the proposal. All of the following require a geotechnical investigation and report prepared by a Geotechnical Engineer.

  1. Unless waived by the Building Official:
    • All new buildings except a residential structure that falls under the International Residential Code
    • Any structure, including a rockery, that retains a surcharge
    • Any retaining structure, including a rockery, that is over four feet above existing grade
    • Grease interceptors that are 1000 gallons or larger
    • Surface water retention/detention structures

  2. Unless waived by the Department of Community Development Director:
    • Any work on sites containing or adjacent to slopes that are 15% or steeper
    • Grading that requires environmental review under the State Environmental Policy Act

  3. Unless waived by the Public Works Director:
    • Surface water infiltration
    • Riverbank Stability
    • Hazardous Waste Facility Design

The City defines a Geotechnical Engineer as a practicing, professional civil engineer registered with the State of Washington, who has knowledge and practice of geotechnical engineering. The City defines geotechnical engineering as the application of soil mechanics in the investigation, evaluation, and design of civil works involving the use of earth materials and the inspection or testing of the construction thereof. The City may request a list of qualifications to determine if a firm or an individual meets the City's standards for a geotechnical engineer.

Traffic Impact Analysis

Traffic impact analysis reports are required for all development or re-development that generates five or more new peak hour trips.

Traffic Control Plan

Prior to beginning any activity which might affect City right-of-way, the Applicant/Permittee shall provide the City, for review and approval, a traffic control plan that meets the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices standards. The traffic control plan shall accurately reflect existing site conditions including accesses, channelization, sidewalks, bike/pedestrian paths, bus stops and such. The Applicant must provide the location, address and description of expected traffic flow during the proposed work.

Pollution Prevention Plan

The plans for any construction project that includes any of the following activities must provide best management practices to prevent pollution:

  • Dewatering
  • Paving
  • Structure construction and painting
  • Material delivery, use, or storage (soil, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, detergent, plaster, petroleum products, acids, lime, paints, solvents, curing compounds)
  • Solid waste
  • Hazardous waste
  • Contaminated soils
  • Concrete waste
  • Sanitary/septic waste
  • Vehicle or equipment cleaning, fueling, or maintenance.

Riverbank Stability Analysis

As part of the Flood Control Zone permit application, the Applicant must provide a riverbank stability analysis for projects adjacent to the Green/Duwamish River, whenever the natural riverbank is expected to provide bank protection for the life of the project. A geotechnical engineer must prepare the analysis. For project approval, the geotechnical engineer must certify that the riverbank is stable for the lifetime of the proposed project. Refer to CAB B4 Geotechnical Report Guidelines for the report format.

Financial Guarantees

  1. For Type C permit work in the right-of-way Applicant shall provide:

    • A corporate surety bond, cash deposit or letter of credit for 150% of the value of the proposed right-of-way work, in order to guarantee faithful performance of the permitted work.
    • A maintenance bond for 10% (minimum) of the value of the right-of-way work, to guarantee workmanship and materials for two years following completion of work.

  2. For hauling (Type E permit), the applicant shall provide a $2,000 bond to assure clean up and repair of any damage.
  3. For moving an oversize load (Type E permit), the applicant shall provide a $5,000 bond to assure repair of any damage.
  4. For subdivision, short plat, or projects containing or abutting sensitive areas, the Owner shall provide a Performance Bond for 150% of the total cost of the proposed work.
  5. The Director may require a bond for 10% of the project costs for erosion prevention and sediment control on projects which clear more than 6000 square feet or contain or abut sensitive areas such as Class 2 or steeper slopes, wetlands, or critical drainage.


  1. For right-of-way work, the Owner/Applicant or the Contractor shall provide proof of the following insurance, showing the City as additional insured:

    • Comprehensive general liability insurance with limits not less than $2,000,000.
    • Business automobile liability insurance with limits not less than $1,000,000.
    • Contractor's pollution liability insurance, on an occurrence form, with limits not less than $1,000,000 each occurrence and deductible not more than $25,000.

  2. If the Director determines the nature of any work is such that it may create a hazard to human life, endanger adjoining property, street, street improvement, or any other public property, the Director may require the applicant to file a certificate of insurance. The Director, based on the nature of the risks involved, shall determine the amount of insurance.

Hold Harmless

The Owner/Applicant shall complete a hold harmless agreement for activities in the right-of-way, for activities in or near a sensitive area, and for major deviation from City standards. A template for the hold harmless agreement is available in Public Works.


The City reviews easements prior to recording with King County Records.
For easements granted to the City, the legal description(s) and exhibit(s) shall be prepared and stamped by a land surveyor, or professional engineer registered in Washington State. The easement document shall include the easement legal description and a site plan showing the easement location, and shall specify maintenance responsibility, when applicable. (TMC 11.12.050)
  1. Utility. Water, sewer, drainage facilities, minimum 20 feet wide, generally, ten feet either side of the centerline of the facility. Additional width may be required to accommodate maintenance. Utility easements adjacent to public right-of-way shall be ten feet wide.
  2. Traffic. Where needed for purposes of traffic safety or for access to schools, playgrounds, urban trails, shopping facilities, or other community facilities, public easements for bikeways or walkways, the Owner/Applicant must provide and easement not less than ten feet in width.
  3. Levee access. For proposed development adjacent to the Green River, the Owner/Applicant shall grant access and maintenance easements for existing or future dikes/levees and riverbanks along the Green River. King County, in cooperation with the City, shall determine the easement locations and widths.
  4. Nonmotorized easements. The easement shall be wide enough to include the trail plus at least two feet on each side.

Statutory Warranty Deed

The City may request right-of-way dedication to incorporate necessary transportation improvements. Property shall be deeded to the City using a statutory warranty deed. The dedication must be accompanied by a Title report less than 6 months old and a completed excise tax affidavit.

Maintenance Agreement(s)

Before Public Works final project approval, the Permittee/Owner/Contractor shall provide Maintenance Agreement(s), in recordable format, for common improvements such as access, utilities, surface water elements, and cul-de-sac landscape island.

Street Lighting Calculations

Street lighting is required:
  • Along all public streets, including new private streets in subdivisions and short subdivisions.
    (TMC 11.12.110)
  • At the intersection of a public and a private street.

Provide street light calculations using "ALADAN", software developed by General Electric.

Permits From Other Agencies

It is the Applicant's responsibility to obtain permits from outside agencies. Some of those agencies are listed below. The Director requires proof of other required permits prior to issuing permit approval.

State and Federal Agencies:

ACCESS Washington Website
Washington State Dept. of Fish and Wildlife
Washington State Dept. of Natural Resources
Washington State Dept. of Ecology
Washington State Dept. of Health
Washington State Dept. of Transportation
US Army Corp of Engineers

Professional Engineer Design

Public Works requires plans that are prepared, stamped, signed, and dated by a professional engineer, registered in Washington state for all development projects, except some single family residences.
Public Works may require engineered plans for a single-family residence, depending on the proposed work and on site conditions. A single-family residence must have engineered plans when the project includes any of the following:
  • Public infrastructure installation,
  • Work in the right-of-way,
  • Surface water design other than Small Site Drainage Review (per King County Surface Water Design Manual),
  • Sanitary side sewer longer than 150',
  • Activities on sites that include or abut steep slopes.
    (Refer to TMC 18.45 Sensitive Areas Ordinance)

Frontage Improvements

Please refer to TMC 11.12 for the complete code.

For new construction, subdivisions, short plats, Planned Residential Development:

  1. The City requires improvements along the entire property frontage. The improvements may include curb, gutter, sidewalk, storm drainage, street lighting, traffic signal equipment, utility installation or relocation, landscaping strip, street trees and landscaping, irrigation, street widening, and channelization.
  2. The City requires transitions from the new to the existing beyond the property frontage including ramps, channelization, pavement, tapering.
  3. If the Director agrees that the frontage improvements will not be built as part of project, the owner shall:
  1. Pay the City an amount equal to the cost of installation, or
  2. Record a Developer Agreement to install at a later date, or
  3. Complete a "No Protest LID" agreement.

For additions, alterations, repairs adding square footage to existing structure, or new accessory building:

  1. Street improvements shall be constructed and shall be determined by the Director.
  2. Property owner costs shall be 10% or less of the total improvement cost.
  3. Director may waive.

For additional structure(s) on private campus:

  1. Street improvements shall be constructed and shall be determined by the Director.
  2. Property owner shall be costs 10% or less of the total improvement cost.

For additional structure(s) on public campus:

  1. Street improvements shall be installed along entire frontage.
  2. Corner lots, etc. when cost does not dictate improvements on all frontages, Director will determine which frontage must be improved.

For a single-family residence (TMC 11.12.080):

  1. In all cases install surface water drainage along all frontage.
  2. Abutting unpaved street, not a corner lot, requires a � street section of pavement or No Protest LID for pavement and storm drainage.
  3. Abutting both paved and unpaved requires � street pavement and drainage on unpaved right-of-way.
  4. Contiguous to a parcel served by paved street requires � street and drainage frontage, installed at the abutting existing paved right-of-way.
  5. Abutting a paved street surface requires complete minor pavement edge improvements.

Public Works Policies



Schedule Inspections

Contact Public Works at 206 433-0179 to schedule an inspection at least 24 hours(1 working day) in advance.

Inspection Fees

The public works Type C permit fee covers two inspections per inspection item. Each reinspection after the first two inspections is charged $60.00/inspection.

Pre-Construction Meeting

Contact Public Works at 206 433-0179 to schedule a pre-construction meeting.


Contact Information:

Public Works

6300 Southcenter Blvd.,
Tukwila, WA 98188

Phone: 206 433-0179
Fax: 206 431-3665

Email the Public Works Dept.